Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mercury Toxicity and Unexplained Illness

If you are having unexplained illness, don't forget about your teeth. Mercury is highly toxic. Even though the ADA (American Dental Association) still claims it is relatively "safe" for most patients, there is always the risk of mercury leaching out of the fillings every time you chew, or drink hot liquids.

Did you know?

  • Mercury is 500 times more toxic than lead.

  • Mercury is the 2nd most toxic element known to man (after plutonium).

  • Mercury amalgam fillings have about 50% mercury.

Before the mercury goes into a filling there is a skull and crossbones on the container. After it is removed, it must be treated as hazardous waste. So how can it be safe inside our mouths?

O.K., so I am just a suspicious patient with an "allergic reaction" to amalgams, and not a Dentist, but I did study enough chemistry to know the difference between a strong chemical bond, and an amalgam. Chemical bonds such as those formed in table salt NaCl will render both the Sodium and Chlorine harmless, and water (H2O) is not as flammable as the separate elements Hydrogen and Oxygen. An amalgam is formed by mixing mercury with other metals, most of the mercury binds with other metals, but it certainly cannot be considered as safe as table salt. Elemental mercury, and many mercury compounds, such as methyl mercury are highly toxic, so even the slightest amount not completely bound to the other metals is extremely dangerous.

If it is as safe as they claim, why does the EPA require fillings removed from dental patients mouths be treated as hazardous waste? See: -- "Mercury is a concern to human health because it is a persistent bioaccumulative toxic chemical.", and CA pollution prevention -- "Health/ Environmental Concerns: Release of mercury vapors, contamination of water and/or sludge from wastewater treatment plants."

I plan to investigate this further, and post something here on, and on a website I am creating for a holistic dentist (also known as "bio-compatible," "biological" or "natural" dentist). -- I suspect the controversy will continue, as long as there is ignorance, apathy, money to be made, and fear of lawsuits. While the experts fight it out, I prefer to avoid the risk of health problems, and ask my dentist to use safer materials in my own teeth.

Here are some interesting links I have found on the subject of mercury toxicity and dental mercury amalgams:

Smoking Teeth Video from


A Patient

From a Dentist's website in London, England
Typically, the patients referred to us for the safe removal of amalgam and mercury decontamination have suffered from a group of troubling signs and symptoms including:

- Excessive tiredness and lack of energy
- Mood swings
- Depression
- Sleep disturbances and waking up tired
- Foggy brain
- Digestive and bowel problems
- Food intolerance
- Frequent colds, sore throats, and generally depressed immunity
- Excessive Headaches or migraine
- Mouth ulcers
- Chronic sinusitis
- Skin, nail and hair problems
- Generally feeling unwell

Typically, they would have visited their general medical practitioners, who would have referred them to various hospitals, that would have run an array of tests and investigations, then pronounced their invariable verdict; that there is nothing wrong with these patients. The patients then come to us, we decontaminate them from mercury and amalgam, and the patients invariably, and immediately, improve. It takes 6-12 months for a complete cure.

Book by Dr. Hal A. Huggins
It's All in Your Head: The Link Between Mercury Amalgams and Illness

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Parking Fun

Police reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no one claims to have seen who did it.